Dr. Short GQ Interview
My name is Howard Short, and I am married to fellow Geneva teacher Hillary Short (this is not the only nepotistic relationship on campus). Our family includes Jonah (our 4-year old) and (Hillary would say) Maybelle (our Maltipoo). I graduated from the University of Texas at Austin with a major in Anthropology and a minor in Mathematics, hold an MA in Philosophy of Religion and Ethics from Biola University, and a PhD in Philosophy from the University of Oklahoma (BOOMER SOONER!). I love college football and a good pair of headphones. At Geneva I am grateful to teach Calculus, Statistics, and Philosophy.
1. What is your idea of perfect happiness?
A world where a person only wants what they ought to want, and what they want is (easily) accessible.
2. What is your greatest fear?
Heights. And American bologna.
3. What is the trait you most deplore in others?
Finding pleasure (enjoyment) in another person’s pain (misfortune) … unless we’re talking about sports.
4. Which words or phrases do you most overuse?
5. Which talent would you most like to have?
Ability to instantly clone myself. There are a lot of things that I don’t want to do but that I need to do and that I could then order my clone to do.
6. Which fictional figure do you most identify with?
Sisyphus (I teach math)
7. What is your greatest regret?
Either rooting for Texas or being a Calvinist (can’t decide)
8. What do you consider your greatest achievement?
Jonah (hands down)
9. How would you like to die?
Food coma after eating at Hondo’s
10. What subject would be your dream to teach?
The Three Hour Siesta (provided it is a three hour class)
Photo by Luke Bower