Mr. Arizpe GQ Interview
Luis Angel Arizpe, husband to one, father to two, pal to two dogs, sinner, musician, lover of words, seeker of life, addict, follower of Christ.
1. What is your idea of perfect happiness?
Sitting alone, on my bed, with the shades up and sunlight illuminating the room, drinking coffee and reading – in silence.
Turning my guitar to 11 and rattling my neighbor’s windows.
Taking a walk on a sunny day with clear blue skies when it’s 20º F outside.
2. What is your greatest fear?
3. What is the trait you most deplore in others?
Laziness, unfulfilled potential.
4. Which words or phrases do you most overuse?
Boom-buddy-boom, Nah-mean?, “There’s a heap of slip between a cup and a lip” (my friend Petey), Stop that!
5. Which talent would you most like to have?
Fishing. I’ve been fishing all my life, and I like to fish, I’ve caught three fish in all those years, and I only ate one.
6. Which fictional figure do you most identify with?
7. What is your greatest regret?
The broken landscape of my life before Christ. It was like walking away from an airline crash with debris scattered and flung in all directions and dust settling and mangled pieces all over.
8. What do you consider your greatest achievement?
Trusting Christ after a lifetime of antagonism, and rehab.
9. How would you like to die?
I don’t ever think about it … I’d say surrounded by my family and friends.
10. What subject would be your dream to teach?
Hmmm … You mean if I was smart enough? World View Analysis, or Literature or Poetry. No! I got it. The History of Rock N Roll!
Photo by Taylor Tippit