Mr. Johnson GQ Interview
My name is Paul Johnson, and my wife is Erica. We’ve been married for twelve years as of last November, and we have two kids: Sven, my son, was born on Christmas Day, 2015, and my daughter Natalie was born this last November. I studied English and literature in college, so I teach literature, but I also teach history, and in the past I’ve taught Bible, logic, Latin, earth science, guitar, and drums. Before I started teaching I was a janitor and also worked in a record store and before that a book store. I also used to play in bands and ran a mail order record label when I was seventeen.
1. What is your idea of perfect happiness?
I like collecting and listening to records and finding and reading books. So I guess any of those things...
2. What is your greatest fear?
Running out of time.
3. What is the trait you most deplore in others?
Most likely the thing I hate the most about myself, narcissism? Sure that works.
4. Which words or phrases do you most overuse?
Like, literally, and know what I mean? Probably a bunch of others that I don’t notice.
5. Which talent would you most like to have?
Any talent really, just some talent. I have none.
6. Which fictional figure do you most identify with?
Harry Potter and I were both born in July of 1980... but that’s where it ends. Fictional characters are usually interesting people... I don’t know, maybe, Eustace Scrubb?
7. What is your greatest regret?
Not marrying Erica sooner. Buying and selling my 1967 Volkswagen square back. Not buying more records when I was younger, and they were cheaper. And many many many more.
8. What do you consider your greatest achievement?
Sven and Natalie.
9. How would you like to die?
On a rain-soaked foggy beach clutching the grip of a broken sword.
10. What subject would be your dream to teach?
Literature. I think it would be fun to teach art, music, or math though too.
Photo by Braden Hall