Mr. Russel GQ Interview
My name is Dirk Russel and I am possibly the least interesting person in the world. I have been married to Aubrey for almost 24 years; we met while we were students at Moody Bible Institute in Chicago. We moved to San Antonio in 1996 so I could go to work as the Minister of Education at a church in San Antonio. In 2004 I came to Geneva and I have to say that is was one of the best decisions of my life. Aubrey and I have six children between the ages of 13 and 22, and one daughter-in-law. I teach senior humanities and practical theology.
1. What is your idea of perfect happiness?
Sitting around a table with my family and friends enjoying a home cooked meal, laughing, and telling stories of God’s faithfulness.
2. What is your greatest fear?
Most people are afraid of heights, I’m afraid of widths. In all seriousness, my greatest fear is failing my wife and children.
3. What is the trait you most deplore in others?
Arrogance, especially when it is accompanied by ignorance.
4. Which words or phrases do you most overuse?
5. Which talent would you most like to have?
I would like to be able to play an instrument and sing.
6. Which fictional figure do you most identify with?
Niggle from “Leaf by Niggle” by J.R.R. Tolkein or Dante; not the historical Dante who wrote the “Divine Comedy” but the fictional Dante who experienced the “Divine Comedy.”
7. What is your greatest regret?
Not taking my education seriously early in life.
8. What do you consider your greatest achievement?
Convincing Aubrey to marry me
9. How would you like to die?
Suddenly, I don’t want to see it coming.
10. What subject would be your dream to teach?
A class on all three books of “The Divine Comedy”